Friday, August 17, 2012

...and that's a wrap!!

We made it through the first week of school.  I am so excited about what the rest of the school year holds.  We are all much more pleasant during the day; the kids do well entertaining themselves after school (they're stuck with me for ~4 hours so when school is done for the day they don't want to be with mommy:)); we're all waking up early so much more gets done during the day.

My previous post described what we learned this week, particularly, the 1st day.  Tuesday was our first day at CC.  My two younger kids were in the nursery while Doc and I went to the opening assembly and class.  She did amazingly well.  Parents are required to stay in the classroom.  I had so much fun hanging out with my girl and watching how she interacted with her tutor and classmates.  She surprised me: every student had to go in front of the class for presentations.  She did so well answering the questions from her tutor.  By the way, her favorite animal is a fly:)`
1st day of CC

Practicing OiLS in class


For the rest of the week here at home we reviewed and I taught Geography, History and Science.  Doc also finished letter 'F' in Get Ready for the Code.  We're slowly continuing Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  WE READ LOTS OF BOOKS relating to the topics.  Can I just say I love that I can place books on hold at the library:)  It's a huge help (not that I don't like browsing) especially when the book I want is at another branch.

*NOTE for Math she has been filling out these sheets and playing math games on the iPad (Playful Minds).





REVIEW:

 Reviewing prepositions by playing a game similar to this one.

At home OiLS



GEOGRAPHY
 Tracing and coloring the Fertile Crescent


HISTORY

 Working on Commandments 1-5 craft


SCIENCE

 I taught her the concept of classification by reading from a biology website.  After, I threw several blocks on the floor and told her to classify them (without any further explanation).  She immediately began to sort them.  I was so excited to see that she grasped the concept by merely listening and comprehending what I had read to her.  SO COOL!!
(Miss Priss was such a big helper handing her the pieces)


Superhero has been with us while reviewing and playing games.  He loves the CC songs (they help with memory work) and has them memorized as well as Doc.  His favorite thing is listening to Have Fun Teaching skip counting songs on Youtube.  We did 1s and 2s.  Great way to get in our exercise in the morning:)






Matching Upper Case and Lower Case



Classical Conversations Weekly Link-Up

4 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog...this is priceless and you are just precious! We are embarking on our first year of CC this coming Tuesday so my nose is in the computer for fun resources (as well as some needed encouragement)! So glad to have found your space and have been able to glean some well needed resources from it! Excited to follow along with you on this new journey! Enjoy! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy reading other Homeschool (particularly fellow CC moms') blogs, too. I agree on the encouragement thing. We're are super thrilled about this new venture. May God be glorified. Hope y'all have a great year.

      Delete
  2. What a great week! Thanks for sharing everything, especially those math sheets; I can't wait to print them out for my girls! By the way, your children are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch. I can tell how much I've enjoyed reading your blog. Your girls are so cute. Thanks for the hard work you've put into organizing bible passages to correlate with each week. Love that aspect of your curriculum. Have a great year!

      Delete