Saturday, August 11, 2012

Integration the CC way!


Can't believe summer is almost over for us.  School begins August 13 and I am both excited and nervous for what's to come.  We are using the Classical Conversations Program (CC) as our main curriculum for Eden.  I mentioned in my previous post what CC is all about and if you follow me on Pinterest, you know that I've been planning like crazy:)

During the Parent Practicum I attended back in March, we were given examples on how to apply the idea of Integration in teaching our kids.  I can't think of a better way teach.  It is a great tool to help the kids make the connections across all subjects.  It also helps reinforce the theme and thus helps the information 'stick'.  Basically, you pick a theme and tie that theme into all the subjects.  So, I decided to do it once this school year.  Since we will be learning about volcanoes for two weeks, I figured that would allow plenty of time to integrate all the subjects.

I created a graphic organizer to have a visual and help organize everything:



Geography - map the major volcanoes in Mexico since History for week 16 & 17 is Mesoamerica (Olmecs, Mayans, and Aztecs)

Literature - Hill of Fire by Thomas P. Lewis; Voyage to the Volcano by Judith Samper (Sequencing of Events)

Bible - There is only ONE God

Science -* Show 4 kinds of volcanoes and parts of a volcano using a classification chart
               *Make a volcano outside

History - *Ancient Olmec mythology (Orizaba was an eagle spirit that formed Citlaltepetl [dormant volcano]. The Olmec believed that they were to hike and pray to the god at the volcano to prevent the god from getting upset and erupting in fury)  
               *Popocatepetl - Active volcano                                                                                                                                            
               *Hernan Cortes and Aztecs
               *A little Belize History (since I'm from Belize)

Art - Aztec Art (Aztec volcanic vision)

Math/Logic - Geometry (triangles, cones)




No comments:

Post a Comment