Monday, August 13, 2012

New Year, Great Memories




Well, we started school today.  I don't know about anyone else but while I was still in school, the night before the first of classes was filled with excitement and nervousness.  Can anyone else relate?  I've got to say, being the teacher makes these feelings even greater.  In fact, at one point in the middle of the night, I woke up and was wide awake for about an hour.  That didn't stop me, though, from getting up at 6:30 ready to seek God's guidance, get the coffee going, and set the table for breakfast.  I haven't been disciplined all summer in waking up that early.  Gotta say, though, I sure got a lot done.

The kids were excited to get things going and wanted to begin school ASAP.  However, I feel it's important for our family to accomplish certain tasks before.  So, the kids quickly ate their Honey and Wheat Waffles, brushed their teeth, spread their beds, and changed their clothes.  I was able to get a load of towels in the wash.  (Don't know if we can keep this momentum going but would love for us to).

This week's memory work that we will be expanding on at home includes the following:
History
Ten Commandments 1- 5


Grammar/English
What is a Preposition?

Math
1's and 2's Skip Counting

Geography
Fertile Crescent Area


Science
What are the classifications of living things?


Art
Five elements of drawing.




We had our Bible (Exodus 20)/Prayer time, Calendar time then Doc did a little writing practice (C - Commandments).

We then read a couple books about prepositions and a book relating the science topic that we will be re-reading during the week in preparation for reading responses.  I wanted to involve Superhero in some of Doc's memory work so we played a preposition game I found on Pinterest.  We decided to name the boy.  Doc chose 'Jack' and Superhero agreed.  So there, he has a name:)  I read a few prepositions of location and the kids had to place the fly in the right place.



I wanted to work with Doc on skip counting and her Get Ready for the Code book (letter F) so Superhero had his own letter F sheets to work on.



Superhero was ready to go play with his sensory tub so I encourage him to practice 'full' and 'empty' emphasizing the f is for 'full'... then he decided burying cars would be more fun:)

We then had a break which ended up being everyone, including Miss Priss, playing with the sensory tub (no pics due to the necessity of my eyes fixated on my 1 year old playing with beans).

I found some youtube videos relating to prepositions.  They really enjoyed those:)  I had another preposition game which allowed Doc to practice cutting and Superhero to practice colors.

Then, it was time for lunch so I could do my grocery shopping for the rest of the week.  We got back home, unloaded the groceries and while Superhero and Miss Priss had quiet/rest time, Doc and I worked on her first lesson in Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.

Overall, a great day.  THANK YOU GOD!  and all my encouraging family and friends.

Tomorrow is our first Classical Conversations class.  WE ARE PUMPED!!!



Classical Conversations Weekly Link-Up

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! You are very creative! I know the Lord is blessing you with your decision to homeschool! Praying for you and all the mommy's who homeschool!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood. Happy homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete